HOW CAN I PROTECT MY CHILD FROM SEXUAL ABUSE?
- Urge your children to tell you about anyone who hurts or scares them or makes them feel uncomfortable.
- Encourage your children to come to you for help no matter what happens.
- Pay careful attention to persons around your children. Keep in mind that even "nice" people, people you trust, can do mean, hurtful or wrong things.
- Trust your instincts. Refuse to leave your children in the company of those you do not trust, no matter who that person is.
- Include information about sexual assault when teaching your children about safety.
- Teach your children, as early as possible, to care for their own needs, such as bathing, dressing, and using the toilet.
- Give your children permission to refuse to obey an older child or adult if they believe what is happening is wrong.
- As always, talk to your children, and encourage them to talk to you. Listen to what they tell you.
What is the HERO Project?
HERO, a project of the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape, is a community-based, media-driven, child sexual abuse prevention program designed to educate and motivate adult community members to call the 24-hour HERO Hotline if they suspect child sexual abuse.